Lakewood Building Dept. Help

Have questions? Answers? Experiences to share?

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Charlie Page

David Anderson

Postby David Anderson » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:10 pm

Yes, great thread idea, Stan.

I have a process question(s).

I plan to install a wooden fence in my back yard that replicates the dog eared fences of my back and side neighbors. What is the process for getting such a "structure" approved before I get the supplies? Can aproval be done online?

Thanks.

(An interesting side story concerns the fact that I have been planning this project for two years but just last month got the phone company to remove an unused pole from the back corner of my property. The electric company planted a replacement pole close to 20 months ago but the telephone company never came back to move their lines to the new pole and take out the old one until late January (despite regular, polite reminder calls from me).

Will Brown

Re: Lakewood Building Dept. Help

Postby Will Brown » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:07 pm

Its been some years since I dealt with them, but at that time you had to visit and apply for a permit. They didn't seem like the kind of office that would ever go on-line.

One warning, the permit comes with a time limit; they want the project completed in so many days. I think you can apply for an extension, but they may or may not grant it. Their time limits seemed pretty short, little longer than it would take a contractor to do the work, so if you are not a fairly fast worker, you may end up having to hire a contractor to finish the work, or risk their citing you.

Having said that, I always found the inspectors thorough and willing to discuss what you were doing, and received some good advice on how best to do what I was trying to do.

Society in every state is a blessing, but the Government even in its best state is but a necessary evil...

Return to “Lakewood House Talk”