Lakewood Earth Day Planning Thread

BikeLakewood Virtual Meeting Room

Moderator: Jim DeVito

Tim Liston

Lakewood Earth Day Planning Thread

Postby Tim Liston » Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:15 am

BikeLakewood wants to man a table at Lakewood's Earth Day Festival on Saturday May 5th at Lakewood Park, from 12:00 noon to 4:00 PM. Annie's friend Gail Higgins is organizing the event.

I have a banner we can use, you saw it at the meeting. I can help pass out something informative, suggestions welcomed.

There's work to be done. Let's use this thread to expedite the planning process. Thanks all....

Tim Liston

Postby Tim Liston » Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:37 am

The most pressing item on our plate is Lakewood Earth Day, just six days away. Annie can I get confirmation that we have a table? Will it be an open-air table only or is it under one of those tented areas like they use at the Community Day?

I have a six-foot banner and a modest amount of safety information we can pass out. Plus the “business cardsâ€Â

Mike Deneen

Postby Mike Deneen » Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:34 am

I don't think members should get free t-shirts. they shoud be sold separately ($10 or 15 apiece)

Rather than giving out free t-shirts, I would propose lowering the cost of membership. $35 is a little steep.

Memberships for the dog park, Lakewood Athletic boosters and CCLAS are $10. I think the historical society is in that range, too.

Annie Stahlheber

Postby Annie Stahlheber » Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:30 pm

Tim - Get me the copy and Rob (my BF) can get you the design work and send it to you. He's pretty fast too! We do have a spot, still waiting on Gail to see about the table.

talk to you soon!
~Annie

Mike Deneen

Postby Mike Deneen » Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:33 pm

I have a nice table in my garage that we can use.

HOwever, someone would need to pick it up....I will not be at Earth Day until after 3pm. I have a hike (with the dogs) in the Chagrin Valley at 10:30.

michael gill

Postby michael gill » Fri May 04, 2007 12:56 pm

Tim, Annie, Everyone, I'm embarassed to say that my failure to keep my calendar up to date left me unaware until this morning of a big family to-do, relatives from out of town, etc., which will prevent me from working the Bike Lakewood tent this weekend.

Anyone able to fill in from 2-4 p.m.?

It should be a beautiful afternoon, if the PD weather wizards have any idea what they're talking about. I truly wish I could be there, but cannot.

I do, however have this tarp, which I'll deliver to Tim with set-up instruction this evening. I can collect it back any time. We just need to know who will collapse it and take it home aftre Earth Day, whenever Bike Lakewood's participation ends. It is incredibly easy to do.

I can also provide a few squeeze-type hand clamps, which might be useful for securing the banner. Let me know, TIm. I don't know what equipment you have.

Annie Stahlheber

Postby Annie Stahlheber » Fri May 04, 2007 4:37 pm

I should be able to "float" if Bike Lakewood is short on volunteers. We have several people who are coming from LEAF who do not necessarily have a specific job. I'll be there at 9:30 AM to prep and set up (we are having food). It is going to be a great time! See everyone there!
~Annie

Mike Deneen

Postby Mike Deneen » Fri May 04, 2007 5:08 pm

I believe I already stated that I probably won't be there until after 3.

I will try to get there by 2, but I cannot promise.

Some coworkers and I (plus my three dogs) are going for a hike at Virginia Kendall in the Chagrin Valley at 11:30. It should be about 60 to 90 minutes. I will get back ASAP, but I will need to drop the dogs off at my house first.

Tim Liston

Postby Tim Liston » Fri May 04, 2007 10:50 pm

Well the more the merrier (and the better an impression we'll make) but as far as handling those interested in the organization, we'll be OK. Stan is gonna help me set up, I have Mike Gill's tent and plenty of stuff to hand out, including brand spanking new membership materials. Please stop by if you can.

Brian Rybak

Postby Brian Rybak » Tue May 08, 2007 8:18 am

Well, how did it go? Wish I could have made it, but I was at the shop working on a million flat tire walk-ins.

Tim Liston

Postby Tim Liston » Tue May 08, 2007 1:51 pm

It went fine. We spoke to a lot of interested people, and got about 30 more names for the prospective member list. And three new memberships on the spot, one for $100 "founding member". And a promise of another $100 founding member. Tom Bullock and I spoke with a bunch of people. The late shift got off easy, because it got cold for some reason later in the day and most everyone booked.

Speaking of membership, thanks in part to Rob Burgoyne (Annie's BF) we now have a nice membership flyer and application.

Here's the flyer, and here's the application.

I've gotten most of the new leads into our database, when I am done with that, everyone will get applications, either in the mail, over e-mail or both. I think that's close to 100 people. Get ready for some checks Amy.

Plus we had a "why biking is good for the earth" flyer that Annie cobbled together.

I have some news on bike parking for the Art Festival I will post to that thread when I get a few minutes. I'm at work now.

Return to “BikeLakewood”