Question -- dog eating habits

Lost pets, shelter news, pets for adoption, pet care.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Catherine Butler

Steven Greenwell

Question -- dog eating habits

Postby Steven Greenwell » Sun May 04, 2008 7:52 am

Fritz joined our household last October. We picked him up from a shelter. At the time his age was estimated at a year and a half and he is a mixture daschund and miniature pinscher (cute little guy...IMHO!)

His established eating time was once in the morning and once in the evening and he would devour his food everytime. We use just dry food and have changed it a couple times following the advice to make it a gradual change each time.

Just a couple days ago he started eating hardly any of his food (and it wasn't after a change in the brand). He just sniffs and walks away. I don't think he is sick because he is still energetic for his walks, he will eat treats, and scours the floor for scraps (I don't give hime anything but being a messy cook there will be an occassional scrap that falls to the floor).

I have started looking at the internet for ideas but I thought I would also put the question out here for any thoughts or suggestions.

Thanks

dl meckes

Postby dl meckes » Sun May 04, 2008 8:49 am

It is possible that the food is bad. Sometimes that just happens. I would keep the information on the bag that you have with the lot number or identifying numbers.

While we don't switch food frequently, I'd suggest getting a bag of different kibble and see how it goes...

Not all dogs have a problem with switching food, however, if your dog does have problems, call your vet and see if there might be some over-the-counter medications that will help.

“One of they key problems today is that politics is such a disgrace. Good people don’t go into government.”- 45
Steven Greenwell

Postby Steven Greenwell » Thu May 08, 2008 8:37 pm

dl -- Thanks for responding with your suggestions. I did research through a few web sites. I guess sometimes dogs can just be a bit finicky. One suggestion was simply to add a little bit of water to the regular dry food being used.

That did the trick!

dl meckes

Postby dl meckes » Thu May 08, 2008 9:28 pm

I'm glad to hear that - especially because it's better than switching food all the time. Some people switch food regularly on purpose because it is supposedly a good way to prevent food allergies, although I've never seen any data to support that.

We did have an instance where our former puppy refused to eat her puppy chow one day but ate the adult food. We smelled what was left in the bag and it seemed a little off.

Adding water is a good way to get more hydration in our dogs - and it sometimes slows down the pups that inhale food.

Thanks for the update.

“One of they key problems today is that politics is such a disgrace. Good people don’t go into government.”- 45

Return to “Lakewood Pet Talk & More”