starting seeds

Please join the LEAF Community Group (Groups button) to post in this forum.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Slife

Lynn Rodemann

starting seeds

Postby Lynn Rodemann » Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:35 pm

if anyone is interested.. i have a good mixture for making your own seed starter mix...
Lynn

~~i belive in something but i dont know what it is.... its either the future or the end.... its every reason that i do or dont get out of bed
Tom Bullock

Postby Tom Bullock » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:26 pm

I would be, but I'll need to have a plot in a community share garden since my own backyard won't work out...

Any chance we'll find 40 acres and a mule for Lakewood LEAFies?

Dan Slife

Postby Dan Slife » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:44 pm

Tom,

You can find 5x5 (or more) and a good group of LEAF Woodies hanging in the Plover Patch.

Lynn, several of her friends, Ken and myself will be gardening the Plover community garden in Bird Town this season.

Care to join us? You will have to pass the personality compatibility test of the radical pack picking in the Plover Patch ;0)

Dan

Lynn Rodemann

seeds and plover space.

Postby Lynn Rodemann » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:51 am

Tom, if you are interested we are meeting on sun at 9:30 at plover gardens.. we are going to talk about some layouts and some materials we are going to need.

the mix is simple.
equal parts
peat moss
vermiculite
and
perilite.
with about 1/2 cup of lime to every five gallons or so of the above

peat moss's ph needs to be balanced that where the limestone comes in

Lynn Rodemann

~~i belive in something but i dont know what it is.... its either the future or the end.... its every reason that i do or dont get out of bed
Carolyn Hufford

Starting Seeds

Postby Carolyn Hufford » Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:40 pm

Dan
I am interested in having a spot in the Plover garden as I am unable to grow vegetables (no full sun) in my yard.

Also, an important component of seed starting is to begin with clean or new pots and a sterile growing medium. So, if you are recycling pots, be sure to wash and then rinse in a solution of 1:10 bleach to water.

Lynn Rodemann

plover gardens homework...

Postby Lynn Rodemann » Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:38 pm

hello, thanks to Dan and Tom for coming out yesterday..

Homework.. gather a wish list of things to grow.. get back to me.. by tomorrow if possible...together we shall thrive.

Dan whats up with the truck for tomorrow... you can contact me at work tonight... or can call my house and tell Mike what is going on...

The dimensions of the beds might have to be improvised.. the average size of a tie.. is 8.5 feet new... that would mean we would need at least 32 ties if they are still that long when we go and pick them up.. if we don't want to cut them.. (I don't) then the beds will have to be either bigger or smaller. but 32 will be enough for either one. regardless we are going to need at least 250 feet of ties.. so what needs to happen is we need to measure the size of the ties when we get there... and someone(me) will need a calculator.

Carrol.. the bigger we are the better we are.. contact me and I will fill you in about the Plover take over...

I made a lay out map of the garden.. we are looking good I will show you all tomorrow at 5:30 if it happens and we can talk about it at 117th and Berea rd. at a unmarked location on the east side of 117th. haha...

Lynn your reluctant leader.... ahhahh

Carolyn Hufford

Starting Seeds

Postby Carolyn Hufford » Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:42 pm

What kind of ties are you planning to use? Regular RR ties are infused with creosote so no good for growing food -- or any living thing.
c.

Tom Bullock

Postby Tom Bullock » Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:48 pm

Lynn, thanks for being our Garden Maestra. You do a good job of inspiring and teaching and keeping it fun. I'm looking forward to learning as we do...

I'll send you a personal message with my seed laundry list.

Carolyn, hope to meet you soon.

Lynn Rodemann

Postby Lynn Rodemann » Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:14 am

Carolyn, i did some research.... because being the organic food Nazi that i am.. the rail road ties that we are getting are very old... and have probably leached out every thing that they are going to leach. but because i am still paranoid... we are going to line them with plastic landscape fabric. creating a barrior. also if you build your beds mound like inside the run off water goes right off the sides... not into your beds. I did most of my research threw organic gardening website and i feel secure in our decision to use them.. mostly because they are really old.

thanks for your concern
Lynn

Dan Slife

Postby Dan Slife » Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:09 pm

Hey Ploverites,

Although we believe that wrapped railroad ties would be sufficiently safe, we have abandoned them in respect of differing comfort levels within the group.

Chemicals are always a concern. We will look into mounding, employing cinder blocks or other salvaged goods.

Lynn will map the site and let interested LEAF Community members know what's available.

There's a great degree of interest in communal gardening at this site. Let us know if that's something you're interested in.

Chris and Annie will continue to work with the Elbur properties and the City of Lakewood in hopes of securing some more land.

We will keep everone updated on the status of these prospects.

Dan

Lynn Rodemann

update....

Postby Lynn Rodemann » Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:28 am

OK... Dan and I have exhausted all of our border type raised bed ideas... we think that it is either to dangerous... or to expensive.... and the group has decided to build bounded beds with paths of wood chips.... But on the good tip... we have a great access for soil... at 10$ a truck load you cant beat it.....

so our original equation of mussels+truck+ logs is done...... Plover needs your help..... we have the trucks... there are no need for logs... but we need some muscles!!! We are thinking sometime this weekend if we can pull it together... wanna help? please get a hold of me or Dan!

thanks
Lynn

Carolyn Hufford

RE update

Postby Carolyn Hufford » Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:08 pm

lynn
you can get wood chips for the PATH (not for the mulch around the plants) - for free if you have a truck and muscles. Just go down to the metro parks -- it is a left turn off of the main road. i'm not sure what the sign says -- city of lakewood something or other - but the stuff is free. fine for paths. if you want you can line the path with old newspaper before depositing the wood chips on top. It helps provide a bit of a weed/mud barrier that will
eventually decompose.

you can pick up leaf humus (compost) for $10 from the city of westlake if you call ahead. this is not the same as soil but it is a great additive that improves soil structure and you can mulch plants with it.

i am so glad you've decided against using railroad ties. i've researched creosote as well and i must strongly disagree with you as to the toxicity danger. creosote is an extremely toxic substance and is classified as a restricted use pesticide. it has been documented to be a cause of skin cancer through skin contact, among other things. please check my source.

http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/toxprofiles/ph ... bookmark07

i wish it would stop snowing

Lynn Rodemann

Postby Lynn Rodemann » Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:36 am

carolyn.. thanks for the leads... both of those we are already plan on using.... gale told us all about it last week. I know all about the RR ties... thanks for the concern..
Lynn

Lynn Rodemann

dirt+truck+muscles

Postby Lynn Rodemann » Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:42 pm

UPDATE... Dan called Westlake... it is $10 a cubic yard... a little off of what we were told before.... and if we do the dimensions we had originally talked about... 6" high. we are going to need 20..... we could do not so tall... and ill have to reconfigure the math... lets talk here are the hours that they are open....

Picking up Material :
Pick up the material with PAID RECEIPT ONLY at the Service Department Main Office, 741 Bassett Road, Monday through Friday from 8-11:45 a.m. and 12:40-3 p.m, and Saturdays from 8-11 a.m.
When is everybody available?

these hours are mildly a problem... for you jobbers out there but I'm sure it can be done..

both of those times are OK with me... but if I want Mike to help it will have to be on Sat... I get up early anyway.

there are 2 new people who also want to help.. Jenny.. and Chris.... Chris has a truck we can sure use... and he is an ex -roofer so I'm sure that he will have muscles and the gumption to help.... I have seen Jenny's muscles they are huge... (haha)

Let me know what's good for all of you!

Lynn

Dan Slife

Postby Dan Slife » Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:37 pm

Lynn, Carolyn,all,

Thanks for the info.

We should look into contracting a dump truck. I might have access.

I think we should consider either renting, contracting a private truck.... or, perhaps approaching the city of Lakewood.

Is mayor Tom George willing to support this Green Initiative?

A commercial dump truck would probably hold close to 20 cubic yards. Does anybody know anything about this?

Dan

Return to “LEAF (Lakewood Earth & Food Community)”